A Brief History
The junior branch of the oldest school in England” Rudyard Kipling, Milner Court 1929
The Junior King’s School is a modern school with a long history. Our roots can be traced as far back as 597 AD when St Augustine, having arrived in Canterbury from Rome, founded a monastery school. Henry VIII’s dissolution of the monasteries meant this was refounded as the King’s School, Canterbury in 1541.
As the King’s School flourished, the need to establish a junior school became apparent. Founded in 1879, we spent our first half-century in the Cathedral Precincts. Then, in 1929 we moved to our present premises at Milner Court, Sturry, just two miles from Canterbury. Formerly the home of Lord Alfred Milner, the Tudor house and grounds were given to The King’s School in his memory by Lady Milner and the new school building was opened on 5th October 1929 by her great friend Rudyard Kipling. Set in 80 glorious acres on the banks of the River Stour, with a 16th century Manor House, superb Tithe Barn and Oast, the site offers a spacious and attractive location for learning, sport and fun (recreation).